This low carb, spicy cabbage rice recipe is another one of my favorite recipes which is very fast and easy to make. Depending on how much time you have, you can make it without any other veggies (except the cabbage, of course) and it will still taste great!
I like to add other veggies like carrots and spring onions and garnish with shrimp, just for variety sake. You can even add shredded chicken or beef to make it even more filling and increase your protein intake. The steps to make this are similar to our popular cauliflower jollof rice recipe. This dish will be a favorite staple in your kitchen, I promise.
I always like to start my prepping my smoked catfish by soaking in hot water and breaking into smaller chunks while taking out the little bone pieces. The tomato, bell pepper and habanero pepper should also be blended and heated for about 10-20 minutes to evaporate the water and give it a more tomato paste, consistency. The cabbage should be chopped evenly and set aside.
To prepare, heat the palm oil on medium heat for a few minutes, then add chopped onions and your tomato/pepper blend. Stir and leave for about 10 minutes on medium heat.
Add the shrimp, smoked fish chunks, carrots and spring onions. Also add your crayfish, salt, pepper and seasoning of choice. I sometimes add bacon bits for an extra oomph. Let simmer for about 10 minutes, then add the chopped cabbage.
It will initially fill your skillet and look like it will boil over but just stir consistently for a few minutes and the cabbage will eventually shrink. Let simmer for another 10 minutes and serve with chicken or beef. Yum!
Spicy Cabbage Rice
- Soak the smoked catfish in hot water and breaking into smaller chunks while taking out the little bone pieces.
- Blend the tomato, bell pepper and habanero pepper and heat for 10mins. Set aside.
- Heat the palm oil on medium heat for a few minutes, then add chopped onions and your blended tomato/bell pepper/habanero pepper.
- Stir and leave for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the shrimp, smoked fish chunks, carrots, scallions, crayfish, salt, pepper and seasoning of choice. Stir intermittently for 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped cabbage and let simmer for another 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!